Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Harry Pottering it Up!

Recently, my friends and I decided to read through all of the Harry Potter series again. It's something that has bound friendships together since we were all young- I was ten when I got my first copy.

As I opened Sorcerer's Stone, the front cover separated from the binding and has been sort of dangling there, taunting me because it means I need to go get a new copy. I took it to my parents, who originally purchased it for me, and held it out to them. I told them that I know it must have seemed silly to spend so much money on these books, but I wanted them to see that they had been well read, and well loved, since that first day 14 years ago.

It may not seem like I respected them, what with the binding breaking. But truly, it's simply because of the sheer number of times they have been opened, closed, hugged.

My cousin is reading through them for the first time, he's only ever seen the movies before. And I'm so excited for him. Because he'll be able to see just how amazing these characters really are.

Some of the greatest travesties in book to film history have occurred in the Harry Potter movies. I understand they needed to cut time, but some of them are near unforgivable.

Because I need Neville to be there at Harry and Hermione's side in the Forbidden Forest.

Because I need Dudley telling Harry he doesn't think he's a waste of space.

Because I need James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter to have been the Marauders.

These books have meant so much to so many over the years. Because Hogwarts is real for those of us who were lucky enough to grow up with the magic of Rowling's world.

I just needed to get some feels out here...

No comments:

Post a Comment